Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Enlightenment sabbatical day 3

Today, I put my knowledge of light into making toys! The first toy I made was an optical illusion toy. An optical illusion is an image of any sort that tricks the eyes into seeing it as something different. As I was neither Picasso nor some professional artist, so I did something simple, a bird in a cage illusion. Basically, I drew a bird on one side of a cardboard and an empty cage on the other. I then attached it to a straw so it can be turned rapidly. When something moves to quickly, our eyes cannot see it properly; sometimes our eyes just put the two things together. Therefore the bird would appear to be trapped in the cage when in fact; it’s as free as a, well, bird. The second toy was more of an image of a toy, a 3d image that is. I used my favorite key chain, a shark to and made a hologram out of it. A hologram is the first, true three dimensional imaging in technology. Unlike photography that only records the brightness and contrast of an object, a hologram records brightness, contrast and position. This means, we can see up-down left-right and forward-backward. This is called “depth”. There are two ways whereby a hologram can be made. Transmission and reflection. I used the transmission method. Holographic plate is used here. Basically, the interference pattern recorded takes the incoming light and reconstructs it according to the information that was recorded, giving a 3-D scene. Sadly, after hours of hard work, my hologram was a failure. Only a little glint of my keychain could be seen in the glass. I guess I have to work harder in handling things so it would

No comments:

Post a Comment